Saturday, March 26, 2011

Batman: The Movie

Batman: The Movie

Batman must use all his wits and skills in order to face a combined set of his greatest villains: The Joker, The Riddler, The Penguin and The Catwoman.

Adam West in his iconic role as The Dark Knight. When i first watched this movie, I loved it. However on its second viewing i wasn't as blown away.
First lets look at the villains. The Joker as played by Cesar Romero. With The Joker, there was always a bit of intellect behind his madness, with Romero's performance I thought the Joker was too giddy at times. Now I understand that this movie was based from the HUGE and successful TV show at the time, but this may be my least favourite performance of The Joker.
The Penguin as played by Burgess Meredith. I liked it. It was all the penguin should be. From the way he walked to the way he quacks and laughs.
The Catwoman as played by Lee Meriwether. Similar with the Joker, her way of "purring" her words grew annoying at times. I'm sure it works well in the comics and on the original TV show, but i wasn't too keen.
The Riddler as played by Frank Gorshin. The best for last. A little biased i know, in that The Riddler is my favourite Batman villian, so just including him makes me love it. Gorshin however just ups the ante and gives an awesome portrayal. The Riddler's laugh and the way he would clearly identify himself as the smartest of the group and his need to leave Batman riddles. Frank Gorshin's Riddler, in my opinion far dwarfs Jim Carry (even though i did like his portrayal)
Adam West as Batman. I cant comment on pure excellence.

However. The movie does not hold my attention as it did the first time round. The Riddles that the Riddler left were annoying, Robin's way of solving them was annoying. The comic way of doing it wasn't funny at times and i found myself bored.


Overall: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?