Monday, February 14, 2011

Donnie Darko

13th February: Donnie Darko

A teenager is troubled by visions, time travel theories and a 6ft rabbit.

*Contains a few possible spoilers*

I had no idea how to do my usual non-spoiler short description of a film for this.
I'be been told for a long time that Donnie Darko is one of the most confusing and batty films ever. I agree. Just like his other two films, Southland Tales and The Box, its a good movie, it just leaves you a lump of goo for a plot. The plot isn't bad, its just all random. Is the rabbit real? Who was that Frank kid? Is he a time traveller? Where did the plane engine come from? It was from the mum's plane, it wasnt? I dunno.
Anyway the cast, I think after Jarhead and Brokeback Mountain I have judged Jake Gyllenhaal harshly. This is the best performance iv seen him give. His change of character between normal Donnie and the weird schizo Donnie was really good. Drew Barrymore and Donnie's Parents were really good too.
I want to mention that my fave bit of the movie that had me lol'ing in my chair was the Smurf conversation. It was funny and sounded like it should have been in Mallrats.

Overall: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?