Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Four Faced Liar

Four Faced Liar

A couple moves out to New York and befriends another couple and their lesbian friend. Soon their friendships and their relationships will be put under pressure and tested.

For a move that lacked action sequences, explosions, well known cast members or laugh out loud moments: it was rather good. First let me explain how I came across this movie. I am a regular listener of the SModcast Podcast Network. One of those Podcasts is Blow Hard. Where Malcolm Ingram hosts a podcast with many co-hosts, mainly discussing sexual encounters. Other than Kevin Smith himself, the most successful co-host he’s had is by far: Marja-Lewis Ryan. The keen eyed among you will have noticed that she is also the writer and one of the leading cast members for this movie. They discussed this movie often before its USA launch, which made me really want to see it, as soon as Amazon would let me, I bought it.

Let me make this clear: this is a rom-com but not in the traditional sense. Spoilers if you haven’t seen the trailer: girl meets boy, girl then meets girl. A lesbian rom-com. Even though I am a straight single man, I still kinda dug this movie. It was a good story, it had likeable characters and it was very clever in that it didn’t make anyone out to be “the bad guy”. I’ll not go into details, but as mentioned before, two of the female characters start experimenting with each other while one still has a boy friend. Whilst there is a lot of conflict between the 5 main cast (all of whom were really good by the way) no one person is seen as the “bad guy”. It’s a film that shows us basic human attraction and our own natural flaws. It’s a good movie to watch and at just under an hour and half, it’s a short good watch.

However, as I said in the first sentence, this movie is lacking a few of the things that would usually grab me in a movie. So the negative thing about this movie is that if Marja had not been involved, I would never have watched this film as I would have had no interest in it. I can see it annoying a few people that not much BIG happens, but what is there is good.

Overall: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?