Thursday, July 14, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

*SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS*

The finale to one of the world’s greatest sagas. Continuing straight from the ending of Part one, Harry must find the remaining Horcruxes, in order to end it all.

How am I supposed to start reviewing this? I’ve just got home from the midnight showing and I felt the need to write now I’m here I have no idea what to say or where to begin. All week coming up to the midnight launch I have re-watched the first 7 films. I have seen the story unfold in a matter of 7 days. I have seen the wizarding world change, some for the good and some for the bad. I have seen the special effects of the films slowly increase in the wow factor. I have seen characters come and characters go. But most of all we saw the rise of three specific characters and the actors that play them. Say what you want about them off screen, but on screen these guys have grown. Yes Dan Radcliffe’s Harry never grew an inch since he was 11. Yes Rupert Grint’s Ron is still gormless git. Yes Emma Watson’s Hermione is one of the hottest things iv seen at the cinema. No matter what your opinion of them, they are those characters. With a supporting cast that spans (or has spun) most of the great British actors we have today, no one can give a poor performance in these films and this one specifically. With characters such as Emma Thomson’s Trelawney and Jim Broadbent’s Slughorn, only present for one or two shots, but their presence is still counted towards the massive scale of the final cast of the film. But if any of the supporting cast should receive a shout out its Alan Rickman. I’m not going to lie to you; from Snape’s death scene to the end of the film, I was in tears. But Rickman brings Snape to life more than any other character in the entire saga. The memory scene was particularly lovely. It showed the love he had for Lily Potter. It showed the true side to Snape that audiences (and readers) were left in the dark for for the past 7 films. Every moment he has, including a fight scene with McGonagall, is filled with emotion.

Now I’m not going to go through the film and point out every scene and how awesome it was, but I will point out the very picky flaws. That one bit from the trailer that we all hated, is still pretty bad in the film. The whole “Lets end this the way we started it: Together” bit. Its cut in right before Neville’s killing of Nagini. Rather than when it is supposed to be, they have a weird flying scene, which ends with Harry duelling Voldemort, where he blocks every green spell sent at him, then the death of Nagini and the final duel.

The only other one I want to point out is that Snape dies in a random boat shed and I thought he was supposed to die in the shrieking shack? But Rickman’s performance soon made me forget about it.

The epilogue was done in a better way than what was written I thought. In the book there is great emphasis on all the children’s names and talking about Professor Longbottom and what not, but in the film, it’s a nice shorter version that ends the film really nicely.

The one thing that still annoys me about all the films is the magic missile routine that goes on. Its is explained that spells require an incantation to make them work and only powerful wizards may use spells silently. However in the films they all seem to have this ability to do what I’m dubbing the Magic Missile. Its that random white powered spell that requires no incantation and everyone uses. I get that in the film its harder to get a proper fight sequence in with all the incantations in and that the Magic Missiles are an easy way of avoiding this problem, but as hardcore fan it does annoy me slightly, but not enough for it to ruin the film.

The special effects are all top notch, some lovely models for the giants and all the spells are top notch as usual. The music is all familiar and a particular moment when Harry returns to Hogwarts, he emerges from the tunnel and when Neville reveals him, his theme tune kicks in, nice and loud and it’s a really good moment.

During the performance there were 4 times when the entire audience clapped and cheered. Once when Ron and Hermione kiss for the first time in the Chamber of Secrets, then again when Mrs Weasley calls Bellatrix a bitch and kills her, again when Neville kills Nagini and then when the credits roll. It was the single most greatest cinema experience I have been to, ever.

Recommend: Take tissues and something to drink, your going to need it.

Overall: 11/10

P.S I still managed to sob when I wrote most of that, recalling what I had just seen.

3 comments:

  1. This was one of my greatest cinema experience too. The way the audience was full of the hardcore fans. Everyone was there because they wanted to be a part of something that has been a large part of most of our lives.
    I will always remember this night as a great night, no matter how many forgetticus' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The issues I had with this movie were mainly with the storyline and direction. I don't think enough attention was given to the hallows (particularly the invisibility cloak) - had I not read the books, I don't think I would have understood that Harry was the true owner of all the hallows, because they barely mentioned that harry already owned the cloak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Espana I agree with what you are saying. However, I reviewed the movie as a movie not as a visual representation on the book. The entire film saga lacked loads of important factors, ideas and what not. But my review stands that the midnight showing of that flim was the best cinematic expericence of my life.

    ReplyDelete

Comments?