Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My Week With Marilyn

My Week With Marilyn


A period drama of the true accounts of a young man and the week he spent on set with Marilyn Monroe and Sir Laurence Olivier.


A wonderful movie. Everything about it just worked lovely. Star of the show, in my eye, goes to Kenneth Branagh. His Olivier is fantastic. He gets across true a true thespian, and every line is delivered with point, purpose and in a spot on accent. Now as much of a thespian and film fanatic as I claim to be, I have yet to watch a Monroe movie, however with little info that I know of her, I thought Michelle Williams gave a really good performance. I think(and hope) that whilst at times we, the audience, are supposed to be annoyed with the character, and that aspect comes across well, but she also shines in moments when are supposed to like her. Eddie Redmayne gets similar all around praise as the man in the middle; Olivier's assistant and Monroe's "friend". Supporting cast also get praise all round, including Dame Judi Dench (who is so awesome) Zoe Wannamaker and Derick Jakobi.

I have only 2 negative things to say about this movie. 1, it does seem to drag on a little bit. The "oh Marilyn isn't on set, go fetch her" bit is used several times and did feel a little long at the end. 2, Emma Watson. Now I am forever in love with her for being so attractive and bringing Hermione to life, but in this I didn't like her. When Tom Felton did the Apes movie he added an accent to his performance, here Emma sounds exactly like she did as Hermione. Now that might have just been the role and her accent was right, but what made it worse was that her delivery of lines was very wooden. I dont mean to be mean as I say/type this but there was one line she has when Colin is about to "claim 2nd base" with her character (Lucy???) and she delivers "In a while, crocodile." so wooden that people, myself included, laughed out loud. I dont want to be mean to her, and i'll go and watch other things just because she's in them, but it was rather bad.

Anyway, there are several funny moments in the film, several shots of Monroe bottom and by the end you feel for all the characters and spite me moaning it was long, left wanting a slither more.


Recommend: definitely

Overall: 8/10


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?